Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Orb Review- Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins    
Review by Daphne Michaud
                 Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins is the thrilling third book in the well- known series, the Hunger Games. Katniss has survived two of the hunger games. This time, she isn’t just fighting for her life. She’s fighting to save all of Panem.
                     Mockingjay is set in a post- apocalyptic earth, where there are thirteen districts run by a corrupt central government, the Capitol. Every year they force children to enter the “games” in order to display how much power they have over the thirteen areas. Katniss was one of these, a fearless young girl who beat her way through the games twice, showing her anger toward the crooked government, and its leader, President Snow, along the way. Now captured by rebels going against the Capitol, she is asked to represent all that she has stood for and the revolution she has begun. Katniss agrees to be the Mockingjay figurehead for the rebels. She then resolves to rescue her love, Peeta, a boy from the games, just to discover that the Capitol has brainwashed him. Angered by this, the action begins, and Katniss makes a gripping mission to the Capitol to kill her nemesis, President Snow. It is a long and dangerous trek, with many unexpected twists and turns.
                     I found this book to be very good. One thing that stood out to me as quite exceptional was the way Collins portrays the characters of the book. She makes them each so vivid that they seemed to come alive. The way that it is written puts you in the place of the character, so that as I went along reading the book, I felt as if I was feeling the emotions that Katniss was feeling. An example of this was when Peeta, the boy she loved, attempted to kill her. “My lips are just forming his name when his fingers lock around my throat.” (pg 177). This moment in the book evoked fear and was very surprising.
                    Something I did not like about the book was the ending. First of all, I do not think it resolved all the issues and questions that came up through the book. I thought it was very weak and did not hold any information on Katniss’s future. Secondly, I thought the epilogue was so vague it wasn’t quite necessary to have it, and I believe Suzanne Collins should have left it to the reader’s imagination instead of putting so little knowledge of what was to come for Katniss. “My children, who take the words of the song for granted. My children, who don’t know they play on a graveyard.” (pg 389). This leaves so many questions, such as ‘What children? What are their names?’
                   Over all, I thought it was a very well- written action packed book. Full of surprises and plot twists, it had me always wanting to read the next chapter. There were only a couple downsides, such as the ending, but they were outweighed by the number of good things Suzanne Collins put into the book, such as character development. Another positive element was the way it was written; easy without being childish, just enough to get the point across with good descriptions and imagery. I think this book was a satisfying ending to a great series, and I recommend reading it.


Collins, Suzanne. Mockingjay. Scholastic Press, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment